We summarized our experience on setting up WordPress on LEMP Ubuntu 18.04. We use Digital Ocean as our virtual private server. It comes with PHP7.2, FPM, and Certbot pre-installed. Nice isn’t it!
- Enable SSH to accept outside root connection. Open /etc/ssh/sshd_config, find PermitRootLogin and PasswordAuthentication lines. Set it to yes, and restart sshd by executing sudo service ssh restart.
- Install NGINX on Ubuntu first. The point is the NGINX must be allowed by the Uncomplicated Firewall (UFW) first.
- Install WordPress. Here is the shortlist: Create database, grant user, setting up NGINX, create configuration file for your website inside sites-available, setting up wp-config.php, restart FPM and restart NGINX.
- Install SSL. LEMP Ubuntu 18.04 on Digital Ocean comes with Certbot pre-installed. Just type ‘certbot’ in the command line.
- BONUS. Setting up HTTP2. This can speed up the website up to 2x.
By the way, there is question which is better upgrading from Ubuntu 14.04 to Ubuntu 18.04 to enable PHP7 for WordPress or start from fresh droplet or VPS account? The answer is better to start from the fresh one.
Upgrading from 14.04 to Ubuntu 18.04 will require you to upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 first, in the meantime your server will be down and you’ll be firefighting the error. We don’t recommend upgrading your system. Start from a fresh droplet is easier and safer. Trust us.